Re: Improved water meter monitor

On Sun, 29 May 2005 10:40:44 GMT, "Dr. Edward Cheung"
<ed@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote (with possible editing):

>Slightly related to the thread 'Emergency Water Turnoff'...
>
>I built a sensor that monitors my water meter and allows my home
>automation system to track water usage by my home.
>
>http://www.edcheung.com/automa/water.htm
>
>The new stuff starts here:
>http://www.edcheung.com/automa/water.htm#neptune
>
>Software in the home automation system displays a graph of water usage
>and flags anomalous conditions such as:
>- leaking/dripping faucet in the system.
>- irrigation valve left open.

Nice ideas, Dr. Ed, particularly the nice use of the comparator.  I'm
considering doing something similar here but under different
conditions.  We have a well (no current metering) and do home
automation mostly through an HAI OmniPro II.  I would "and" the away
flag so that monitoring is used primarily to detect leakage when we
are away from our home.  I.e., monitoring water flow to detect
constant low water usage or intermittent high water usage.  I already
have floor mounted water sensors in the laundry room and pump room.  I
guess I'll look to see what's available in low voltage water flow
sensors...

Best,
--

Larry