Re: Best wireless router & cards for high-speed cable connection?

On Sun, 22 May 2005 03:54:05 GMT, Timbertea
<timbusenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>petem wrote:
>> I have a 8054 from usr
>>
>> it will not support more then 50 connection at a time..
>> so if you have a teen at home that like to share file on p2p it will always
>> reset when the 50 or so connection limit is reached
>>
>> I now is it as an Access Point and have a computer that run Smoothwall (a
>> small Linux distro) that is doing all my routing needs... much more
>> stable..and secure.. and the best thing about using a small computer for the
>> router is that it can be modified easily,and if it fail parts are available
>> anywhere..(I use a 350 MHz PII with 128 mb of ram and its not even using 3%
>> of its whole capacity)
>>
>> even a 75mhz P1 can be used if the web proxy server is off..
>>
>> but for the range and speed of the wireless it is true that USR are faster
>> if you use all USR product
>> if another brand is use it will downgrade every connection to 54g max
>>

>If you are having frequent reset problems its probably hardware and not
>software.  It has come to my attention that they have a problem with bad
>capacitors (leaky/bulging), and very often the resets are due to that.
>Now the hard part is convincing USR to RMA your router.
>
>Mine doesn't reset on P2P aps. The connection will freeze if I get a
>substantial flood attack as each connection takes up memory, but that is
>a slightly different circumstance.  I can emule if I want to, I have set
>a limit of 80 connections for it, and it is stable doing that. 50 isn't
>a real limit.
>
>The previous 8054 I had to RMA had heat problems and demonstrated the
>behavior you are describing.  It wasn't stable on Emule at all, and
>frequently would reset all on its own.
>
>Just something to look into.

If they won't replace it, shouldn't be too hard to replace a
few caps and/or find a way to add a fan.  An inaudible fan
may well resolve capacitor failure issues (if those caps
aren't overly heat-stressed yet), as often in such small
poorly ventilated chassis it is the heat moreso than cap
being defective (in and of itself) causing early demise.

Sometimes it seems difficult to add a fan- a hole saw might
come in handy.