Re: best *current* home automation book? need to cram subject urgently

Not quite wiring but have you had a look at ZigBee wireless.  Our company
has just completed a seminar series with this technology and if you want
telemetric rates <250kbs then why wire?  We wre amazed at what the
technology offred and the interest in it.  Other high data rate networks to
support audio is also available
Martin