Re: What happened to WGL Designs? (wgldesigns.com)- the RAIN8 site?

On Wed, 25 May 2005 08:41:48 GMT, "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Maybe it was a temporary problem. http://www.wgldesigns.com/ seems to be
>working fine.
>
>From:mcbill20@xxxxxxxxx
>mcbill20@xxxxxxxxx
>
>> Hello. Last year I was looking at the RAIN8-PC sprinkler controller at
>> wgldesigns.com. Now that my current sprinkler controller is dead I had
>> planned on ordering one. However, when I go to wgldesigns.com the site
>> doesn't appear to be there. Does anyone know if the company is still
>> around?
>>
>> Also, assuming they are and that I can get a RAIN8, I have a question.
>> I noticed a few posts about problems with certain sprinkler solenoids
>> due to the RAIN8 using a triac and therefore only having 500 milliamps
>> available. I have a sprinkler system that was put in around 986 I
>> think so it's definitely not the latest. Any opinions on whether I'll
>> have to replace all my solenoids if I go with a RAIN8?

  Yep, they only handle 500ma roughly and you can also zap them with
static.  I've got one channel on mine that I can't use now and my last
email to them about getting the unit RMA'd didn't get a reply.

  Probably the only way you're going to tell for sure is to put an
ampmeter inline with the solenoid and actually see what it draws
using your current controller.  Test each one, I saw some pretty
good variation from one solenoid to another in my system and they
were all the same brand, installed at the same time.