Re: Type 66 Block

"BruceR" <brNOSPAM@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
news:59yke.8766$h86.423@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

> OK, think of the rows on the block as being numbered 1-50 down the
> side and the columns labled A-D across the top.   So, the two wires
> for Line1 (L1), get punched to 1A & 2A and the two wires for L2 are
> punched to 3A & 4A. The cable going out to the phone gets punched so
> that L1 is on 1D & 2D and L2 on 3D & 4D. Now put bridging clips across
> the center pins of the four rows and you have dial tone on the 2 lines
> at the phone.  You can add more phones by repeating the process down
> the block. To bring the dial tone down to lower rows, you loop the
> wire rather than cut it. 1A is looped to 5A, 9A, 13A, 17A, etc. It's
> hard to put this into words so if you like I'll send some detailed
> pics. Send your email addr to me at
> br  AT hawaii.com replacing the AT with @.
>
> From:Jim F.
> None
>
>> Still not clear on this.  Have 2 lines I need to punch.  Block is 4
>> columns with bridged pairs.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>> "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> By "bring the signal down the block" are you wanting to do multiple
>>> phone connections? If so I can send you a picture showing exactly
>>> how to do it. What I've done is to loop the tip and ring of two
>>> lines down the left side of the block and then connect the station
>>> cabling (house wiring) down the right side. I then use bridging
>>> clips to make the connections. This method enables me to easily
>>> isolate any trouble on a particular cable. I have some pictures on
>>> my webshots page but I can take a more
>>> detailed one if you like.
>>> http://community.webshots.com/user/brobin111
>>>
>>> From:Jim F.
>>> None

Okay, as someone who was ALSO wondering about this, I have followed this
thread carefully and I understand what you are saying. My question is
this - why would someone use that method (looping your way down the
block to distribute to multiple locations) instead of a bridged 110
punchdown module such as this one -

http://www.hometech.com/techwire/lvtp.html#LE-47603110

I used one of these in my Leviton enclosure to distribute 4 incoming
lines to 8 phones. This eliminates all that "looping" and seems like a
much simpler and cleaner solution. I did this after searching for the
same info about type 66 blocks as the O.P. and not coming up with much.
I ran a CAT5e line from the TelCo's demark box directly into my Leviton
enclosure and punched the four pairs down for four incoming lines.
However, after seeing those 66 blocks used on almost every phone system
I've seen, I felt like I -SHOULD- have been using one too. Can you shed
any light on why my method may be wrong or what the advantage is of the
66 block besides being able to pull the jumpers to isolate a line?

I have been wonding about this for a long time, and now that someone
else has brought up the subject again, maybe I can finally put this to
rest.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

--
Jim H