Re: 240 to 120 Conversion ?

I commend you for posting the question before forging ahead with your plan
and please don't be offended, but it's obvious from your description that
you don't know what you're doing and you don't understand how 120/240 is
wired. My best advice to you is to be safe and hire an electrician.  The
black wire in the outlet is 120 volts and the red wire is 120 volts - NOT
gorund! Measure with a meter if you have one. If the 240 volt outlet (if
indeed that's what it is) has 3 prongs you have 120-120 and ground but NO
NEUTRAL! Doing what you propose will not only burn out the motor but violate
the electrical code.  Since you'll be sitting IN A TUB OF WATER please
ensure that the job is done to code and don't take chances.  Again, I mean
no offense and hope you'll take this advice to heart.