Infra Red over TCP/IP

I appreciate that this isn't strictly home automation, but the
concepts are the same if you have a big enough house.

I am hoping to control a device (e.g. an ordinary DVD player) using
the supplied remote control over a distance of 100's of miles. In
order to do this I am hoping to acquire an IR receiver that can
encapsulate the output from the supplied remote and encapsulate it in
a datagram (TCP/IP) and throw it down an ethernet link such that it
can be reassembled by a similarly capable IR transmitter an arbitrary
distance away (over a low latency 34Mbps link) and control the device
as if the remote was within the typical operating distance of the
device/remote pair. In fact the solution must have an ethernet port
and communicate via a TCP/IP link.

(I have a couple of Barix Exstreamer digital's, but they only relay IR
received from the supplied Barix IR remote control)

Can anyone recommend a device-pair/solution?

Thanks,

Denys Williams

If you think of a device/remote pair for which this will never work
then that isn't the device I want to control, but you are really quite
clever.