Re: Soil moisture sensors

I doubt the regulator is critical or even that it needs to be 3.3V although
a different voltage will change the curves. Look at the LP2950/2951 family.
Search on LP2950 at Mouser or Digikey.

Mouser 80-C340C475M5U is a 4.7µF multilayer ceramic capacitor. They are
pricey. I'd try non-polarized electrolytics (Mouser 140-NPRL50V4.7) but
there may be electrochemical reasons why they don't apply in this
environment/application - I really don't know.