Re: Organizing HA program rules/logic/code

Interesting comments. But my question was not toward programmers, but
towards the user experience. The inability to develop strategy for
developing, checking, and presenting rules _ at the user interface _
is a large part of the reason why HA has not thrived. Some software
does it better than others -- none well enough for mainstream use in a
moderately complex HA environment IME.

Marc

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 04:45:26 GMT, "Dean Roddey"
<droddey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<GxQoe.24917$J12.19293@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>In the software world, where we deal with this sort of thing all the
>time .. <snip>

>-------------------------------------
>Dean Roddey
>Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
>www.charmedquark.com
>
><MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>A major reason why home automation systems that approach useful
levels
>> of complexity fail to thrive is that with increasing complexity of
>> rules (IF/THEN?ELSE or other logic), the system becomes too complex
>> for all but -- or even -- the original programmer to understand.
>> (Remember spaghetti code ?)
>>
>> And as a HA system grows beyond a few lights and gizmos and begins
>> involve usefully complex rules and logic, the likelihood that
>> programming errors will be embedded increases towards certainty.

<snip>