Re: Internal RF Adapter for Almost Any Remote

I've not bought one but I can tell you a bit about how it works.

It's 418MHz so it's only useful with its target or other RF2IR devices,
nearly all of which use 418MHz in N. America.

It senses the carrier bursts as RF.

It will not work in some devices - mostly those with LCD screens. The
screens tend to put out RF noise that swamps this little thingy.

Single chip RF transceivers have been incredibly small for some time. Search
for Chipcon and look at the datasheets.

X-10 uses 310MHz RF so it is of no use for X-10.

The 8-in-1 remote sends only modulated IR when in IR mode. It sends RF and
_UNMODULATED_ IR when in RF mode. Unmodulated IR has very short range and
will not be detected properly by receivers designed for modulated IR. Most
consumer IR receivers are designed for modulated IR with a carrier in the
32-40kHz range.

Your camera is seeing the unmodulated IR because its close to the wavelength
of visible light.