Re: Remote Control Power Switch

On 29 Jul 2005 06:12:03 -0700, "BrianEWilliams" <sorry_no_email@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message  <1122642723.208214.12390@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>The quick search I did on intelligent UPS seems to put it out of my
>price range.

I've purchased new Belkin FC6 series UPS's for as little as US$35.

These can be controlled with UPSMON Plus v.2.73 (free) which has email and
pager notification, timed running of exe files, timed weekly/hourly
shutdown/startup for auto-recycling of power and other features. Check eBay
for Buy It Now of new equipment

(The batteries in your existing UPS may be ready to give up the ghost
anyway. UPSMON.exe  is a good tool for testing  battery capacity *under
load*  --- nothing else matters. Many UPS including some/most Belkin FC6
series use the ubiquitous 12vdc 7AH sealed lead batteries.)

>The solution from X10 is about $30 delivered.

An X-10 'solution' to improve reliability. What a concept! ;-)

Marc
Marc_F_Hult