Re: Leviton or X10 switched outlet problem

Does it make a chattering sound ?

I have had both newer X-10 brand SR227 and Leviton 6227W "split wall
receptacles" outlets fail. The symptom is that although they respond to the
powerline signal, they make a mechanical chattering sound and sometimes do
not actually switch. The problem will come and go on a particular device. It
has happened on two different current-mode Leviton devices. An autopsy shows
no obviously broken part inside.

Smarthome as assured me that the X-10 brand SR227 and Leviton 6227W  are the
same but that somehow it is worth my money to pay more for the Leviton
device.

Buying a new Leviton will solve the problem for a while. But the costs of
X10 become high when you add up the cost of researching, futzing, time in
replacing, new parts and so on. An open-close relay in the garage is a task
that a HA controller and hardwired relay is well suited for. (I use an Elk
MM443 to do something similar with my attic fan based on inside and outside
temperature and so is based on the actual physics of the situation.)

In short, the 227-type devices are unreliable in my experience. Choose
something else, preferably not X10.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult