Re: Recomendations wanted for outdoor video camera (make/model) and retailer

"Video Guy" <Video@xxxxxxx> wrote in message

> I'm looking for recommendations as to who makes a good quality
> CCTV/video camera for out-door use.
>
> I'm putting these under the eves of my house (so no direct exposure to
> rain) but they will experience summer heat (up to 90f), winter cold
> (down to -20f), as well as lens condensation and fogging (I suppose).
>
> Will hook them up using RG-6 coax (BNC or F connector).

That's a waste of wire for CCTV.  RG-59 will handle the signal quite nicely.
CCTV signals are not broadband.

I use bulletcams with Sony HAD image sensors that give good results in very
low lighting (.5 lux for color, .05 lux for B&W, IIRC).

In particular, I use KTC model KPC S230CWX bulletcams in black anodized
aluminum cases.  They are weatherproof and don't suffer from condensation
because the air inside the camera is very dry and the body of the camera is
always fairly warm.  I've had a couple running for at least two years now,
and the only problem was when I had them positioned so rain hit them
directly and hard.  Now when I install them I hit them with a big gob of
silcone where the wire enters the camera body.  I get them for a little over
$100US each from a wholesaler I know.  Not sure if any Canadian stores stock
them.

I also use the KTC infrared cameras, both color and B&W but they are much
larger and more intrusive and the infrared light seems to attract spiders
and other critters.

The color cameras are sensitive enough to provide an image by streetlight or
moonlight.  Cheaper CCD bulletcams will just go black at night and only show
an occasional pair of headlights.  Look for at least .5 lux (smaller is
better) in whatever color cam you get.  IR cams are sized by distance to
target.  You can use a small, 6 LED camera for distances up to 25' or so.
Beyond that you'll need more LEDs or a separate illuminator.

--
Bobby G.