Re: Insteon Review

Dave Houston wrote:
>Given the terms of the Insteon SDK license, I did not buy it. I would have
>liked to use the PC interface to create some more rigorous tests but the
>license would prevent me from publishing any results. :(

The license terms of the SDK does not prevent one from publishing their
results, findings, or efforts with the SDK kit.  Try it, use it, talk
about it.

The only restrictions are on the publishing for sale software developed
with the aid of the kit.  Smarthome has made a short FAQ about this
subject....

Will I be able to sell the product(s) I develop with the developer's
kit?

Yes, you will be able to sell your software product(s) developed from
the INSTEON software Developers kit.  Prior to offering for sale, you
must submit the product to Smarthome for INSTEON compatibility testing
and INSTEON certification.  This is a free sevice that Smarthome
provide to insure the software complies with proper Instoen protocals.
Once you are at a stage where the product can be tested contact Bob
Cusey (bobs email goes here).

How do I sell my software or hardware I created using the developer's
kits?

Once the product passes compatibility testing, you sell the software
and/or hardware through any distribution channels.  Additionally, the
product may also be submitted to Smarthome category managers for
consideration to distribute through Smarthome web and catalog channels.