Re: Remote Control Power Switch

On 28 Jul 2005 05:24:26 -0700, "BrianEWilliams" <sorry_no_email@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message  <1122553466.798479.258500@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>I have my router and cable modem in the basement, with a wired network
>up to my office on the second floor.  When my internet connection goes
>down, the first thing I do is power cycle the modem and router in the
>basement.
>
>Is there an inexpensive solution that would allow me to cycle the power
>strip from upstairs via remote control?

Sure. Use an unused pair in the existing CAT-5 (or preferably pull another
cable) and wire in a low-voltage relay with the contacts in series with the
power strip or (safer) the conductor in the low-voltage wire from the
wall-wart to the router(s).

$1-$3 for the relay if you don't have one. For power, use a battery or an
old wall-wart transformer from dead/unused gear.

Worst case cost is $5 and more reliable than the X-10 'solution' you've
proposed. If you pull another CAT5 (eight conductors) you can easily control
seven different devices independently.

Marc
Marc_F_Hult