Re: Remote Control Power Switch

"BrianEWilliams" <sorry_no_email@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> Believe it or not, the four routers each have a purpose, but nothing I
> want to describe on the internet.

What's that?  You don't believe that "open" security is the best?!?  <heavy
sarcasm>  (Sorry, but I couldn't resist!)

> For $30, I don't plan on tearing out any hair.  If the thing doesn't
> work right away, my credit card charge will be disputed and nothing
> paid.  Companies cannot charge shipping for products that don't work.
> At least, they never have successfully charged ME.

It's more than likely you'll be successful.  Most X-10 problems don't
materialize until you have installed more than a handful of devices.  For
the application you're considering, you'll very likely be fine.   The
TM-751, IIRC, will be *between* the router and the UPS and operated by RF so
there won't be any PLC issues.  Even if your UPS tursn out to be the mother
black hole of all signal suckers, it wouldn't matter a bit for this job.

Now if you wanted to reset all 4 routers at once, that might be a little
dicier.  I would recommend getting a TM-751 for each of them.  You can find
them on E-bay for $12 or so each.  That way, they would all be RF dependent.
Any signal sucking properties of the UPSs (known offenders in the X-10
world) would then be irrelevant because no powerline signals are being used.

If the RF signal isn't strong enough you could try several things.  First,
trying changing the orientation of the chrome telescoping antenna.  Then,
try relocating the TM-751 closer by means of an extension cord.  If there's
still a range problem, consider buying a more powerful Palmpad remote or
doing one of the antenna mods found on the web.

Most times, just changing the angle of the TM751 itself will work wonders.
I control my porchlights with one, and that's going through at least two
plaster and lathe walls and a distance of about 18 feet.  I used extension
cords to mount my transceiver high up behind a valance with extension cords.
If I were staying in this house, I might have run an outlet up there.

I doubt if you could find anything cheaper to do the job, especially if you
are wise enough, as you did, to factor in what your own time is worth.  I
hope you'll report back on the end result.

Good luck!

--
Bobby G.