Re: Multi room speaker configuration

> Big question is what kind of sound quality do you want?
> A typical wall or ceiling speaker is gonna sound like Crap.
> Yes, with a capital "C".

I disagree.  There are a number of in-wall and in-ceiling speaker systems on
the market which sound quite good.  Speakercraft's custom-install line is
called Proficient Audio.  The sound rivals the quality of decent mid-fi
cabinet speakers.  Russound also makes some decent sounding architectural
speakers.

> You can't just stick a variable resistor in series with
> the speakers.  Well, you can, it's done a zillion
> times a day, but is sounds like CCrap with two
> capital "CC"s.

I don't know anyone who would do it that way.  For one thing it's the least
efficient method of controlling volume.  Also, adding a resistor can
significantly alter the sound.  The most common method is to wire from the
amplifier or receiver to an impedence matching volume control in each remote
room.  The speakers are then connected to the output of the volume control.
Russound, Niles Audio, Proficient and numerous others make good impedence
matching volume controls that do not color the sound.

> Get some professional help and go listen to an
> installation they've done in the past.

Multi-room audio is not rocket science.  DIYers do it all the time.

> It's always good to wire the house before the
> walls go on, but  predicting the future is hard.

True, but with a little planning you can prewire form most any multi-room
system you're likely to want in the foreseeable future.  For most folks
multi-room audio doesn't include home theater.  A few TV locations may be
desirable though.  Most want speakers in the kitchen, living and dining
rooms, the den/office and perhaps the bedrooms.  Many clients ask for
speakers in the master bath as well.  If there's a play room or a
deck/patio, the client may want sound there too.

I usually advise people to wire as follows:  From the receiver to a control
location in each room pull 14/4 stranded speaker plus CAT5 and one shielded
wire for composite video.  At the control location (which is usually just a
single-gang mud ring) leave an 18" service loop in the video and CAT5 cables
and continue them over to wherever you plan on a TV set.  Run 14/2 to each
speaker location.  If there won't be a TV set in the room, run the CAT5
cable to one of the speaker locations, left or right.  It doesn't matter
which but be consistent.

This plan will allow the DIYer to use almost any of the current systems.  He
can install speakers and volume controls in a simple single-zone /
single-source layout.  He can use an A-BUS type system with one to four
zones or he can choose a multi-source, multi-zone system like the CAV6.6 or
any popular competing model.

> The house is gonna last way longer than the
> current electronic fad.  If I were gonna do it,
> I'd put in three 75 Ohm coaxes, something
> suitable for Gigabit ethernet, phone, and another 8-wire cable for spares.

The OP asked about multi-room speakers.  Certainly it's a good idea to
consider structured wiring as well but that's a separate project (which is
also easy enough for most folks to DIY during construction).

> I like the 900MHz wireless speakers.  Mine are
> branded Recoton, but they come in different
> brands/flavors...

I've yet to find any wireless speakers with the quality I require.

> You put the transmitter at your computer and
> place the stereo speakers anywhere you want.
> The quality is ok for background...if you don't
> listen too closely...but way better than a typical
> intercom wall speaker...

If by "intercom" speakers you mean Nutone, I agree.  They sound awful.  But
there's nothing Recoton ever made (are they still in business?) that
compares to any of the better quality in-wall systems.

> There's also a wireless headphone that goes with
> the system.

Hopefully it's not made in Belgium. (inside joke)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics