Re: X10 -> UPB?

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 00:51:25 GMT, James Russo <jr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message  <hojAe.190174$IO.5759@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>Hello,
>
>	Does anyone make a X10 to UPB translator? A friend has an alarm
which
>can send X10 commands (Vista 20P) and is looking to do some lighting
>control. I would think that this would be somehow possible basically
>have a received X10 command translate into a UPB link transmission.
>
>Thanks,
>
>-James

The hardwired lighting/dimmer world has a swiss army knife converter (the
Leviton-NSI I/F 501 Control Interface ) that converts back and forth in
various configurations between:

Micro-plex
DMX512
AMX192
0-10vdc analog
MIDI
LumaNet including contact closures
RS-232

as well as other tricks like cue programs and chases.

But that won't solve your problem.  Some bright boy may make available a
protocol splitter/converter that accepts CM11a input and outputs CM11a and
other protocols like DMX and UPB along the lines of what I suggested in this
newsgroup 3-1/2 years ago.

This could be implemented in PC software using a virtual COM port for the
input, or with a microprocessor w/ firmware and hardware inputs and outputs

RS-232 --->  Splitter/converter ---> RS-232 ---> CM11a
                                ---> RS-232 ---> DMX512
				---> RS-232 ---> Centralite
				---> RS-232 ---> UPB
				--->  USB   ---> etc

In this way the wide range of HA software that supports CM11a could
instantly support other lighting schemes. ELK-M1G implements something not
too dissimilar internally and allows (if I understand the documentation) for
user-written ASCII command sets to support lighting protocols other than the
4-5 it supports natively.

.... Marc
Marc_F_Hult