Re: Web controlled Music Server

"Zippy" <msmith_online@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I have a spare PC set up as a 'music server' with all my MP3s connected
>to my HiFi amp.  This works fine at the moment as long as I use a
>keyboard and monitor on that machine to control the music (using
>Windows Media Player).
>
>What I want to do is put that PC in a cupboard and forget about it and
>use another device (my home office PC or my Wi-Fi Palm) via my Wi-Fi
>intranet to control it and play the music from other rooms.  I'm not
>talking about streaming the music back to that device, merely
>controling the music server so the output goes into my HiFi system
>(which is already wired all over my home).
>
>Surely I'm not the only one to want to do this?  But searches find
>nothing.
>
>Can you help?

Zippy,

If your "music server" and office desktop are running Windows XP, you can
use the built-in Remote Desktop to control the music server. You will see
the server screen on the remote computer, and can control it as if you were
sitting in front of it.

If you're not running XP, or if you want to use your Palm device, you can
download VNC from http://www.realvnc.com.

Regards,
Eric