Re: Recomendations wanted for outdoor video camera (make/model) and retailer

"pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> I have the color version of this one http://www.smarthome.com/7538.html
and
> the problem I had with it is that the heat from it fogs the lens, not the
> camera lens but the case lens cover. It is not suppose to do that. The
> outside temp was only about 58 degrees. I solved it by removing the cover
> and permanently fixed it by using some of that no fog spray you get at the
> auto parts store.

I've had one bulletcam with the same problem, but it was after pretty
serious immersion in running roof water.  The problem was a flattened O-ring
that sealed the back part of the camera.  There's a substantial difference
between "weatherproof" and "waterproof" and if in doubt about how wet things
are going to get, it's probably best to go for the "waterproof" models as
they usually have big, fat O-rings and very deep threaded covers so that
they rings don't compress to the point that they leak.

Was yours beyond the warranty period?  If not, I would have sent it back.
I've found that once you have trouble with a camera's seal, it's going to be
trouble again.  I thought I had fixed mine with a new O-ring, but it fogged
up again on the inside of the cover case.  If it happens again, I am going
to wait for a very low humidity day, run the camera for a while to heat it
up and drive off any residual moisture and then seal it with silicone at the
edge of the screw-on cap and where the wires enter the camera body.  Not
pretty but who can see it 20' feet up in the air?  I might even try a little
"No Fog" just to be sure!

After mine fogged up the second time I assigned it to indoor use where
condensation isn't likely to be a problem.

--
Bobby G.