Re: How to get DSC alarm system to communicate with my PC? (hacks/mods ?)

Alarm Guy wrote:
> I've got a DSC 4010 panel installed in a place and it's a real bear of
> a unit and I'm thinking of replacing it with a 1550 spare I have.
> I've set these units up in the past to call a cell phone or some other
> number when they get triggered, but in this case I'd like to do
> something more sophisticated.
>
> In any case, I'm sure it's come up before (sorry) but is there any
> easy way I can use a spare computer and modem to answer an alarm call
> made by these panels?
>
> I notice that their communications protocal seems to be propriatary,
> therefore requiring specialized hardware on the monitoring end.  Are
> there any web sites with plans on how to modify DSC panels so that I
> can use an ordinary modem connected to a PC to be able to act as a
> monitoring station?

Nope.  You'll need to purchase an automatic dialer.  Hook it to the
"program output" of the 1550.  This is the cheap way.  If you want to go
the more "expensive way", you can purchase a central station receiver
and the software to run it on your computer.  You will, of course, need
someone sitting in front of it 24/7.  Talk to Robert Bass.  He had one
set up in his garage for years (his wife and kids were the "station staff").