How to get DSC alarm system to communicate with my PC? (hacks/mods ?)

I've got a DSC 4010 panel installed in a place and it's a real bear of
a unit and I'm thinking of replacing it with a 1550 spare I have.
I've set these units up in the past to call a cell phone or some other
number when they get triggered, but in this case I'd like to do
something more sophisticated.

In any case, I'm sure it's come up before (sorry) but is there any
easy way I can use a spare computer and modem to answer an alarm call
made by these panels?

I notice that their communications protocal seems to be propriatary,
therefore requiring specialized hardware on the monitoring end.  Are
there any web sites with plans on how to modify DSC panels so that I
can use an ordinary modem connected to a PC to be able to act as a
monitoring station?

(please post any responses because my e-mail is bogus)

Thanks