Re: Recomendations wanted for outdoor video camera (make/model) and retailer

Robert Green wrote:
> <stuff snipped>
> The IR (in the KTC's only comes on when it's dark and the output is
> automatically adjusted for ambient light levels).  This is normally a good
> thing, but for me it's bad because my eaves IR cam currently has spider webs
> running across the field of view.  Their proximity to the lens reflects back
> a lot of light and thus dims the IR LEDs to adjust for the closer "subject."
> That leaves the real subject (my car in the driveway) very dark.
>
> Why do you want to control the IR function?

Because an earlier poster said it attracts spiders, and you have just
confirmed that it's not just a aesthetic problem.

> > I guess I could just make motion turn on the front light... will that
> > be enough illumination, even if it's on the opposite side of the door
> > from the camera?
>
> Yes!  For anything with a Sony HAD or ExView chipset it's almost enough
> light to see color.  www.Supercircuits.com sells them.  Try one and you'll
> be unhappy with anything else.  A porchlight is certainly enough to make out
> faces, even when dimmed to the equivalent of a 25W bulb.  I'm going to see
> if a match works later tonight if I remember to test it.  I'm pretty sure it
> will!

Thanks for this information. I'll look into cameras with these
chipsets.

> CCTV is as addicting as X-10.  Once you have a front door cam, you see the
> need for a side door cam, a garage cam, a backyard cam, a shed cam, a
> driveway cam, a porch cam and in my case, a roof cam pointed at the major
> thoroughfare that runs behind my house.  It's really been helpful as a
> traffic cam, believe it or not!

Nifty. Do you ever feel the need for mic input in any of your cam
locations?

What do you do for modulation of so many cameras? That looks like the
part that can really rack up the $$$.

- Mark.