Re: Glass breaks, thunderstorms and HA (was Re: Help with 7 Circuit Project?)

"Marc F Hult" <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

<stuff snipped>

> Seems to me that you could eliminate most falses by ANDing the output of
the
> glass-break sensor on the monitored window with the output of an ultra
> sensitive (i.e., "too sensitive") glass-break on an upper floor away from
> the monitored window.

Yes!  This is what makes Usenet great - the exploration of ideas.  You're of
course right.  The simplest solution is a GBD (glass break detector) on an
upper floor that's way too sensitive.  If that goes off along with a first
floor GBD, then it's probably lightning because the likelihood of a burglar
smashing two windows in such disparate locations simultaneously is pretty
darn low.

> Or as you suggest, the output of a microphone --> amp --> bandpass filter
> --> comparator,  which could also be mounted on a remote window pane. (IF
> upstairs window rattling, THEN ignore patio door glass-break.)

Yes - precisely.  I'm still fascinated by the idea of mounting microphones
at the four opposing house corners and processing the output via PC.  I can
even camouflage the deployment by claiming to go up and clean the
gutters!!!!!  (Of course it means I actually *will* have to clean them, but
it's a small price in the name of science.  I'd love to be able to look at
the same thunderclap through four different mikes.  Any suggestions on
deployment or microphone selection?

--
Bobby G.