Re: A question or two about WGL's V572A

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 19:33:20 -0700, Michael G. wrote:

> Hi everyone and David!
>
> So, as you know, I have made the decision to go for a whole-house
> transceiver, complete with an external whip antenna.  Cool!
>
> Now, I was just wondering two things:
>
> 1 - I know I need another piece to make it work... the PSC05 or a
> Powerlinc module.  I understand that the PowerLinc module is better
> since it Transmits & receives extended X10 codes.   I hate to sound
> like a noob, but just how important are these extended codes.  Right
> now, I am really just using the usual housecodes with 16 devices on
> each.

I bought the V572A/1132B kit from Smarthome.  The main reason for
choosing the 1132B over the PSC05 was one less wall-wart power
supply to deal with.  But I also have a PSC05 so tried both.

Although the 1132B _in itself_ can in fact handle X10 Extended
Codes, these are useful only for modules like the X10 LM14A 2-way
Lamp Module.  I have no idea whether there exists a transmitter
which can send these Extended Codes as RF (maybe the CM15A?), or
whether the V572A could receive them.

> However, I _do_ plan to set up my cameras soon, complete with
> pan/tilt/etc.  Do the cameras use extended codes?  I really am not sure
> how important they are...

The X10 cameras are activated via their power supplies, which
respond to the normal X10 Housecode|Unit On/Off power line signals.
The X10 "Ninja" Pan/Tilt platforms are strictly RF receivers, so
the V572A and/or 1132B would be of little use with them.

> Sounds to me like I should spend the extra $15 and go for a PowerLinc
> rather than the PSC05, correct?

Except for the wall-wart issue, I'm not overly impressed by the
1132B for this application.  The PSC05 works as well.  As far as
I know, the combo is limited to just the standard X10 commands.
The kit from Smarthome comes with a special serial cable so you
can operate the 1132B from your PC, but the Windows software
("Synapse") for it hardly worked at all on my Win XP system.

> 2 - I notice there are different PowerLincs.  The 1132CU, 1132CUP,
> 1132U, etc.  Are all these compatible with the WGLV572A?  Some are USB,
> some are serial, some have memory built-in, etc.

I think you're limited to the 1132B for use with the V572A.

Regards,
Charles Sullivan