Re: is it possible for x10 signal bridge to fail?

"mike" <spamme0@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Chip Orange wrote:
>> I have several X10 lights which suddenly stopped responding,
>> intermittently, to X10 signals.  by turning on and off some 220V
>> appliances, I've come to believe that it's a failure of the whole-house
>> signal bridge, about 10 years old.
>>
>> Since this is a completely passive system (my understanding anyway), I'm
>> not sure how it could fail, but I wanted to ask here if having it
>> replaced by an electrician is a reasonable effort at problem solving,
>> since I can reliably make these switches respond by turning on 220V
>> appliances?
>>
>> thanks.
>>

> Anything can fail.  But I'd try diagnosing the problem before I went off
> and replaced it.
>
> I had some stuff stop working.  Discovered it was caused by moving the
> laptop switching power supply to another wall socket.
> mike
>
> --
> Return address is VALID but some sites block emails
> with links.  Delete this sig when replying.
> .
> Wanted, PCMCIA SCSI Card for HP m820 CDRW.
> FS 500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 Make Offer
> Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
> Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below.
> MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
> ht<removethis>tp://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/

Thanks Mike, but I'm convinced I did, as I can cause it to fail with no 220V
appliances enabled; when I enable their breakers, it works again.

The previous poster, perhaps knowing I also have some noise problems like
you indicated, suggested I might use a repeater instead of a passive
coupler.  At this point I'd simply like to know if these are prone to their
own special set of problems or not?

thanks.

Chip