Re: Timer recommendation for porch lights

"Lewis Gardner" <lgardner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> NO NO NO!!!
>
> The reason you are required to use wall boxes for wiring is to keep
> possible sparks and wall cavity debris separated. By improving "airflow"
> you are also improving the chances for a fire.

I was going to jump on that one myself.

Since this is for porch lights, it's probably in an exterior wall surrounded
by insulation.  So there will be virtually no dissipation inside the wall.
Any heat must come out through the front.  The metal wall plate suggested by
another poster may be the best that can be done easily.

When we had this house built, I specified that all wall boxes that might be
used for X10 switches would be metal.  I never noticed any warm wall plates.
But then most lights that switch on automatically at night are compact
fluorescents controlled by relay wall switches.  So the dissipation is
minimal.