Re: Automated front door lock?

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 16:59:12 GMT, nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Dave Houston) wrote
in message  <42efa376.15308768@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>"E. Lee Dickinson" <lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>
>>> In the case of fire, I think there's a fuzzier line. It might be nice
for
>>> the HA system to unlock the doors if the system has detected a fire, in
>>> order that firemen may get in, or that someone could let my pets out.
>>
>>That's a good point.  I'd definitely check the local firecodes before
>>installing something like this.  If someone is injured even tangentially
>>because of the lock, and it's against the building code, there may be
>>serious legal repercussions.
>
>So what do your existing deadbolts do in event of a fire?
>
>Most of these locks open from inside with the same type mechanism as a
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>standard lock. Most also can be opened from outside with a key.

Dave is confusing locks with the strikes. What I referred to was the
conventional approach of having the component that opens be the _strike_,
not the lock, with a hard-wired interface to a HA system that logs who
enters when as the original poster desired.

>I would probably go with an IR deadbolt and use video cameras to identify
>the entrants. I would not rely on

[ sentence incomplete as posted by Dave]

But this wouldn't meet the original poster's desire to be able to log who
entered and when. The deadbolts Dave refers to do not, ABIK, have a way of
communicating with HA software.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult