Re: Audio over Cat5 ???

In article <Xns963BA0AA6113Anntprogerscom@xxxxxxxxx>,
 Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Art Todesco <actodesco@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in
>
> >> I heard you could get upto 5 - 10W via Cat 5 with proprietary Cat5
> >> audio systems, but I don't know if it's safe for regular home
> >> equipment to do so.
> >>

> > Shouldn't really be a problem unless you are pumping lots of watts ...
>
> True, but don't amplifers pump out 100W per channel these days? So if
> someone cranks up the amp by accident... it might fry the wires (or the
> amp!).

A SS amp's power capability is limited by resistance in the speaker
wiring -- more resistance, less power. You might wind up with less
volume than you wanted, but I don't think there'd be any other problem.
Since the OP said he was going to put a volume control in those wires,
he's already adding more resistance than the wires are likely to have.

Isaac