Re: Audio over Cat5 ???

me@xxxxxxxxx (Ray) wrote in
news:SPBT6D6X38459.8041087963@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

> What if any problems will I run int if I run audio over Cat5? What I
> would like to do is run Cat5 from an stereo amplifier to a stepped
> volume control and from there run speaker wire to two speakers on my
> deck. Not looking for high quality audio at the speaker location but
> would not want it to be distorted. The length of Cat5 would be about
> 25 feet and from the volume control to the speakers another 25 feet.
> The Cat5 is already in place in the wall and I'd just have to run the
> speaker wire.

Easiest solution would be to run line level audio via Cat 5. Have a second
amp on the other end of the run to power the speakers.

I heard you could get upto 5 - 10W via Cat 5 with proprietary Cat5 audio
systems, but I don't know if it's safe for regular home equipment to do so.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@xxxxxxxxxx)