Re: Cat-6 Installation Advice

> Your home is non-plenum so no need for plenum rated cable. 500' spools are
> available and typically cost about 70% of the cost of a 1000' spool. If
> you run the cable 6" above ground and the electrical is 12" you have a
> problem. Keep parallel runs at least 12" apart and when crossing a power
> line do so at a 90 degree angle.

Agreed about crossing at 90º angles but short (< 2 ft) parallel runs won't
cause problems.  The only thing that might be inconvenient is running
patches directly below electrical plugs.  I like to keep data, phone and
power cables at standard outlet heights but that's just my preference.
YMMV.

> If you're going to make your own patch
> cords use EZ-RJ45s...

Personally, I prefer to buy premade patch cords.  They're usually reliable
and cost so little that it's not worth my time to make my own.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics