Re: replacement windows and alarm contacts

> The big problem with magnet venting is that if it gets cold at night and
> you need to close the window, you have to remember to disarm/rearm the
> security. Perhaps consider alarm screens. Very nice, the window may be
> full open and still is protected.
>
> Of course, so many diy's are very cost conscious and the screens are not
> inexpensive (50 to 100 $).

Alarm screens are an excellent solution.  As mentioned above, they are
pricier than magnetic contacts.  You can get around the disarm/rearm hassle
in one of two other ways.  Some panels allow you to adjust the time it takes
for each loop to respond.  For example, Napco's Gemini systems will allow
you to specify that the zones containing "vented" window sensors not respond
unless the circuit is broken for at least 750 mSec.  It takes less than 3/4
second to slide the window shut.  Problem solved.

The second method is less secure but for some folks it's more convenient.
You can program a Napco Gemini panel (and several other makes/models) to
ignore zones which are already open when th system is armed.  This is
usually called "auto-bypass" or something similar, depending on the
manufacturer.  Leave some windows open for ventilation and then arm the
system.  The keypads will emit a 2-second beep warning you that the system
is partially armed.  When you're ready for bed, slide the windows shut.
Another programmable feature will automatically activate the affected
circuits as soon as the windows close.  These features are independently
selectable by zone so you don't have to worry about accidentally leaving a
door or something else unprotected.

The obvious weakness to the above option is the auto-bypassed window is
unprotected until you shut it.  The plus side is it's easier to use the
system.  There are other brands with similar features.  I mention Napco
because I installed them for many years and I also sell them online but you
can accomplish the same thing with other brands.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics