Re: Newbe question. Is it possible to control IR devices with a newer laptop?

Probably not.

The IrDA IR in the laptop is intended for very short range communication
with other IrDA-capable devices. It uses a different wavelength (850nm) than
CIR (Consumer IR) which uses 940nm. IrDA is unmodulated while CIR uses
modulation (usually 32-40kHz).

That said, many of the UARTs used in the laptops are capable of CIR but you
need software that can talk to them directly.

There is one software application from a Japanese author that will work with
some laptops, usually with very limited range. I cannot recall a name but
Goolling "CIR laptop remote control software" might find something.