Re: Have you sold a home with HA features?

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 22:10:20 -0700, "Dandelion Acres"
<nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I think rather than "home automation", the home may be marketed in a
>practical sense, with technology being the effector of that practical-ness.
>
>"Energy Efficient" through the use of "intelligent heating and cooling
>controls" and the convenience and savings in "lighting control system".
>Everybody likes "whole house music" and "home theater", and "intercoms" are
>popular anyway. Just because the intercom uses the whole-house music
>speakers for the chime and paging and the telephone is integrated into that
>audio path is, or may be, irrelevant to an "average" buyer.
>
>I emphasize security, and what better feature to show than the "simple" yet
>very effective camera view of the front drive that has dinged your bell and
>turned on the lights so you can see...
>
>All stuff we may like to do, that may be complex on the inside yet can be
>innocuous and normal to an average Joe.
>
>I thinks it's all about marketing, and marketing is simply communications.
>How are you communicating?

Uh, speaking professionally, "marketing" is far more than just
communications.  I don't want to bore anyone, so I'll just say that
you need to identify your "target audience," and then figure out how
big that is, so if you got 100% "response" to your offer, how big is
that.    For example, your audience could be all the people within 50
miles of your new house who can afford to buy a $2M home.  Probably
the people attracted to an automated home are in their 20s and 30s,
rather than say their 50s or 60s.  All that is part of the puzzle.

You know that people don't move every month, but you should be able to
get some numbers on how many people do move each month, in terms of
homes sold in the same price range you're aiming at.  That info also
tells you your competition.

Then you need to figure out what is really important, and what is not.
It sounds like you're doing some of that, the "hard way," which is the
only way to be truly sure about something, unfortunately.  With this
info, you have your "positioning" statement.

Now, the "communications" consists of describing the "benefits" of the
items that are important, e.g. home automation provides additional
family safety.  You have tho choose the right words that will be
meaningful to your target audience, AND you have to figure out the
best ways to deliver that "message."  e.g. print ads, web site, flyers
posted in brokers' offices.  Sometimes you "sell" to the "channel," in
this case real estate brokers, rather than to home buyers directly.

It's easier than it sounds, especialy if you've done it already.  If
not, I'm available for consulting.  _:) -:)

'dude