Ceiling Fan lights rapid on off flashing when fan is rotating

I have installed a Hunter ceiling fan with a Hampton Bay thermostatic
remote control.  Seemed easy enough.  I am using the energy saving
spiral light bulbs.  At night I noticed when the fan was on (and the
lights off), the lights were coming on slightly rapidly flashing with
the rotation of the fan.  I switched out one of the two energy saving
spiral bulbs with one regular bulb, the other spiral light stopped
flashing as soon as I screwed the regular bulb in, and the regular ones
never have the flashing problem.

I called Hunter and they blame the remote controller of course.

Any thoughts/ideas where to start?

Thanks