Re: Connect sensors to a mobile phone

"Peter K" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:426c437b@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I have a small farm that is located in an area with mobile phone coverage.
> have installed some soil moisture and temperature sensors and have a pump
> and watering system. I would like to be able to receive readings from the
> sensors as SMS messages and then turn on/off the watering system from my
> home about 150 km away, based on my decision about the dryness conditions,
> again by sending an SMS. I have seen a few SMS controllers (Jaycar, Dick
> Smith etc.) but none seem to do what I want.  Any suggestions?

Why keep yourself in the loop?

A local control system can do the control and then you could log into it
remotely occasionally, using the mobile terminal as the Modem. Or maybe
periodically upload the status to a web server and grab it from there.

SMS is not a very efficient communication channel - and in any case you will
need to parse and authenticate commands sent via SMS which will require some
custom hackery when making up the messages.