newbie looking for cheap solutions

Hi,

I want to install domotica in an existing building. All wiring will be
redone, so I have quite some freedom.

I want to automate as much as possible and be able to independently
control it with a computer and switches. I don't want my lights to
stop functioning when the computer crashes, for instance.
I'd use a Linux system to control all this via a web interface.

I was thinking of making the lights and some of the wall sockets
controllable to start with. A music system to use in different rooms
(that can control the stereo independently) is high on my list as
well. I have no idea what else I can do, at least not relatively
cheap.

This brings me to the big problem, which is that I'm on a very thight
budget, although it might change depending on the features the money
will buy.

I was wondering if some of you know of information that might be
useful to me. For the lights and wall sockets, I've been thinking of
using two relays. This way, I can switch lights and wall sockets
electrically, but I don't know how to do this with the computer yet.
That's as far as I got until now.

Thanks a lot for all tips and feedback.

Cheers,
Tim