Re: Need help to buy correct X10 equipment.

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
> I suspect so. I have an LD11 running 3x60W and it works fine.
> You are talking of 500W load of halogen lamps which is going
> to be more marginal. I don't recall if the instructions required
> any derating for halogen lamps, but due to the way the LD11
> always comes on slowly even if you send it an 'on' command with
> no dimming commands, it likely doesn't need any derating.
>
> I have it housed in second consumer unit, and have it protected
> by a dedicated 3A Type B MCB, which might provide some extra
> protection for the Triac in the event of a flashover in a failed
> lamp (most recent MCB's will act faster than the fuse).
>
> Personally, I'd never try lighting a room using downlighter
> spotlamps due to the inappropriate use and appalling efficiency
> of the setup, but that's a different matter.
>
> --
> Andrew Gabriel

Hey Andrew, Thanks for your reply. Your right the link was to 5 GU10
50w lamps.
(http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/product/product.jsp?CATID=80360&entryFlag=false&PRODID=6670240&paintCatId=)

I was planning on buying two sets but only running 8 lights as my room
is long and then having the front 4 and back 4 run seperatly.

The reason for this is that I am planning to have a video projector in
the middle of the room, though this is not for some time. Having
hanging lights would be in the way of the projection.

Why wouldn't you light a room using downlighters? I've never done this
before so I thought it would be cool.