Re: Electrical

On 9/28/2023 7:05 AM, ABLE1 wrote:
> On 9/27/2023 8:08 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
>> In my process of adding an EV charging station I had wanted to add
>> another 20 amp 220V outlet for occasional use of other 220V equipment
>> in the garage.  (band saw, radial arm saw, non business CNC machine,
>> etc) With the 50 amp breaker for the charging station the sub panel is
>> now full.  They make high density breakers (4 poles in the space of
>> 2), but I was unable to find one for this panel.
>>
>> I know the odds of one of you being specifically familiar is slim, but
>> its worth a shot.
>>
>> Before somebody says, "Did you try Home Depot?" in a dry nasally
>> voice. Yes I tried all the usual easy suspects.
>>
>> The sub panel is a GE PowerMark Gold Load Center. I am looking for a
>> drop in 4 pole high density breaker in the configuration of
>> 20/20-20/20.   It looks like the Siemens breakers with a UNV suffix
>> may be a correct fit, but the outside poles on the only one I found
>> were 15 amp.  All the existing circuits are 20 amp.  The panel is
>> currently being used as a sub panel, and is full at the moment.  Other
>> Siemens breakers I found that appeared to be a match will not
>> physically fit.  They have a blocker plate on the connections, and the
>> physical gap in the middle is to narrow.
>>
>> I did also look for a GE solution since its a GE panel, but was unable
>> to find anything at all.  I would ask them if they had a solution I
>> had not found, but they make accepting all cookies and agreeing to
>> receive SPAM a condition of contact.
>>
>> The suffix UNV I found with the 15 amp poles was at Lowes. I did not
>> physically try it, but visually it appears to have the correct gap to
>> fit around the plastic rejection tab in the panel, the correct depth
>> for the contact lugs, and correct snap in length when compared
>> directly with the 50 amp GE breaker I used for the EV station.
>>

> Second Send..........  Don't know why but it did not show up on list?
>
> Hi Bob,
>
> Are you a member of ContractorTalk.com??  If not, someone there might
> have the answer to your challenge.

I am not.  Or if I am its been so long I have forgotten.  I shy away
from a lot of specialty groups these days.  I get tired of the
know-it-alls snapping off with, "Well if you don't already know hire a
pro, take it to a dealer, or "you are un-anointed, and should be
flogged, keelhauled, and flayed for even asking."

> If you are and knowing how you do what you do, you have already posed
> the question there and are awaiting a response.
>
> Hope you get it all working as you desire.
>
> Glad the EV is charging.................. as per your wife's desire!!

Thanks Les.  I kinda freaked out.  The car heads up and her mobile ap
both said 67-1/2 hrs to reach full charge.  That was crazy since it
would be about the same rate as the 16 amp cord on 120V.  I was
wondering if Kia had pulled some kind of smart chip current limiting
bullshit, but after 12hrs it had gone from 29% charge to 60% charge.
The estimated charge time was totally wrong.  It looks like the charger
may not have been charging at full current but it was faster than the
car was estimating.  I may pick up an AMPROBE and click around one of
the 240V leads to see what the draw current is, but I'm less concerned
this morning than I was last night.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff