Re: Different Alarm Question

On 4/8/2023 12:14 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 4/7/2023 6:29 PM, ABLE1 wrote:
>> Hey Guys,
>>
>> I am being asked to work up a plan for a building with multiple doors
>> to have a WiFi Door sensors on a number of doors that would alert
>> staff via a app on there phone that a specific door has been opened.
>>
>> I have done some Googling and see a bunch of "stuff"!!
>>
>> Never did anything like this before so I am very old and a lot green.
>>
>>                     ;-)
>>
>> So I thought I would ask the question here to see if anyone could give
>> a good hint or suggestion that might help.
>>
>> At this point it is a guess at 6 doors with each a separate ID.
>>
>> Any thoughts??
>>
>> Thanks and have a good holiday weekend!!!
>>
>> Les
>
> Real time wifi cellphone notification.  The fully baked applications I
> am aware of that "might" are subscription based and go through a remote
> server.  Usually via the cellular data network.  Even if everything is
> tits and the cellular data network is relatively idle there will still
> be a lag.  It would have to be local to have any chance of approaching
> real time.  This may mean hiring a coder to write the cell phone ap and
> figuring out how to bypass the ApStore/PlayStore to load it on the
> phones.  You would probably also need a program running on an individual
> PC (could be a micro with embedded OS) to manage the data.
>
> Here is the real problem.  The employees themselves will ignore the
> notifications knowing other people are also getting the notifications.
> "I was busy, didn't feel like it, and management is evil for pushing
> this on us."  Well, if they are commission based sales people you might
> get the opposite problem.  A gang of fanged carnivorous starving
> seagulls descending on an unsuspecting victim.    "MINE!  MINE!  MINE!"
>
> I have done something to similar to this in a hardwired non cell based
> application.  I drew floor plan of a building, laminated it on a board
> covered with polycarbonate, installed a programmable relay board in an
> alarm panel, wired the relays to light LEDs cut into the floor plan.
> Then I set all the keypads in the building to chime.
>
> A similar mass produced product is a waitress call system.  I've never
> installed one, but I have repaired a couple.  Wait staff are motivated
> to look at the light board, because generally better service equals
> better tips.
>
> Upon second thought, there are a number of wifi trigger devices on the
> market that send data to a remote location.  You might be able to adapt
> something that is off the shelf.  IT "professionals" are always trying
> to monitor IT hardware remotely.  Power, data, heat, battery alarm,
> etc...  If you can send texts (most cell services have an email to text
> format) from a PC it could all be done without an ap, but then you are
> dependent on the cellular network again. You still need some kind of
> [...]

Thanks Bob,  I knew this was going to be tricky.  The signal delay thing
was not what I was thinking about.  Thanks for that thought.

I did find this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/304735959414

No matter I would have to get one of "something" just to 'test evaluate'
to make sure it can do what they want.

As for the staffing challenge....... Well that will be a challenge no
matter what.

Setting up a full system with relays and LED's, etc. will be a very
difficult install on this building.  Not impossible but difficult.

The one advantage here is that the whole building has WiFi installed.
I just don't know at this time how strong the signal is at each door.

Well, I don't even know which specific doors they want to cover.  There
is a meeting being setup next week to discuss.  I am trying to get my
thoughts and concerns together to be ready for that meeting.

Again thanks for the input.

Les