Re: GEM-RP1CAe2 Keypad: Compat# Error

On 11/19/2022 6:48 AM, ABLE1 wrote:
> On 11/18/2022 10:45 PM, tony wrote:
>> I have the same problem exactly. However. Unplugging that keypad and
>> plugging it back in is not changing it back to out of system. That one
>> keypad will not respond at all.
>>

> Tony,
>
> Since you are responding to a seven(7) year old solution maybe the
> answer to your issue was typed then.
>
> As for now with minimal supplied info it would only be a total guess.
>
> BTW you can buy "New" keypads on eBay!!
>
> Good Luck!!
>
> Les

The two most common issues that cause out of system on a previously
working RPC1CAe2 keypad are.

1. Dead panel that still provides enough juice to power keypads. Usually
a dead/low/bad battery pulling down the system.  Can also be AC fail and
slow death of battery.

2. Damaged wiring connection on data lead.  (Yellow green at keypad).
Most often a bad splice at the keypad, but can be wires that compressed
over time at the barrier strip on the panel.

3. Less often is "somebody" monkeying with "in keypad" keypad
programming as the original OP did in this thread seven years ago.

OTHER:

X.  I never had this issue, but I have heard of "new" keypad not
programmed properly that a customer bought off ebay.

Y.  I did one have a customer move keypads around so that the
programming no longer matched the zone expansion modules numbers in the
keypads.

Note:  "In keypad" programming is stored in the keypad and is most
easily programmed manually at the keypad.  I'm not sure if keypad
configuration can even be done any other way.  I would usually
pre-program the keypad by hooking the power leads to a battery before
installing it.

Dang.  I can still be useful... maybe.

When I would run a service call like this I'd check CS log if monitored.
  If not monitored I'd check transformer power and battery before doing
anything else.  Most often all it needed was a new battery.

Once Dr McEvil overloaded the power grid testing his cold laser.

www.avg.com