Re: Richter or Merkel ?

On 8/15/2022 7:46 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
> On Sunday, August 14, 2022 at 7:26:41 PM UTC-4, mail...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> In the film San Andreas, do we use the Richter scale or the Merkel scale to measure earthquakes?
>>
>> We should remember this information, after all, Americans don't make films for nothing, films are also an education.
>
> Why - - - - - I am    shook     by that comment.

Films are often a bit more than an education.  They are sometimes an
indoctrination or even a misinformation piece.

I don't even recall the film anymore, but it was one a large group of
the family went to see together.  My wife and kids, and parents.  Maybe
a couple others.  I commented as we were leaving that ultimately the
point of the whole movie was just that the ends justify the means.
That's not all that surprising, but my mom was surprised by my summation
even though I thought it was painfully obvious.

Here is a better one.  The movie CARs.  Its a fun animated movie with
anthropomorphized vehicles playing mostly American stereotypes or
Americanized stereotypes of other nationalities.  The message I got from
it was a little more subtle.  "Sure gasahol is bad but somehow its big
oil's fault."  You have to extrapolate a bit, and I admit you could draw
a couple different, but very similar messages.  In any case the movie is
fun for most ages, but is clearly aimed at children.  It is
indoctrination and misinformation in my opinion.

Aren't stereotypes supposed to be bad?  I guess its okay if we
substitute cars.  LOL.

So anybody solve any security problems lately?  I'm looking for new DVRs
myself.  The two in my shop are still working, but they are old.  One
keeps rebuilding its database, but seems to still be recording every
time I check.  It needs to go.  The other has to reboot two or three
times when I reboot it, but then it seems to work perfectly.  I just
want something new and wonderful.  #2 channel would be okay, but I like
having dual 16 channel as it allows for some redundancy in key traffic
areas.

www.avg.com