Re: Hello!!!

On 8/23/2021 8:27 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
> On Monday, August 23, 2021 at 6:32:31 PM UTC-4, ABLE1 wrote:
>> On 8/23/2021 7:55 AM, ABLE1 wrote:
>>> Hello!!
>>>
>>> Did anybody hear that????
>>
>> Well by golly!! Somebody was actually listening to
>> the break in the SILENCE!!! I am impressed!!!
>>
>> Thanks!!
>>
>> Anyone have anything new to report or discuss?? I will lead off!!!
>>
>> I for one will be installing my 2nd ever in 32 years a Fiber Optic
>> cable pull for a Network run on Wednesday!!!!
>>
>> It is to replace a CAT5e cable run underground between two barns for
>> a WiFi connect to allow a horse trainer to send out video of her
>> horse training to others. YippKiAaaaa!!!
>>
>> The install was about 3 months ago and since have lost 4 data switches
>> to lightning storms passing through. I have learned a big lesson NOT to
>> do that ever again!! My whoops and fault!!!
>>
>> Glad to see that you's guy are still checking in here to hear what be
>> going on!!
>>
>> BTW nobody mentioned my spelling error!!! Thanks for that!! :-)
>>
>> Later,
>>
>> Les
> Re, the fiberoptic.
> I'm presuming you are using a pre-terminated fiberoptic cable - - - - right?  The cost of the splicers is quite high so I can't imagine that you'd go for one of those just for one cable.
> So, are you supplying the hardware also? Digital converters? I've read about how to do it but never have had the opportunity. Let us know the details of your experience when you get it done. Sounds like fun.

Absolutely, Pre-Terminated!!  The alternative really sucks!!
Yes, it took a lot of work to find the right matching parts.
Particularly, the cable end connectors.  I tried calling some
friends to see what their knowledge level was in Fiber.
Well lets just say I now excel well past them.
I order the stuff off of eBay and just received the stuff last
Friday.  I set up in my office to my laptop and network switch.

Data Converter on each end of a 328 Foot (100 Meters) Multimedia
LC/LC Fiber Optic Cable.  Powered up and got about 28Mbs++ Speed
to my Laptop which is a bit slow in today's world.

The first challenge was that the cable came coiled up in a plastic
bag.  It was on spool from mfg. but pulled off and placed in the bag.
I had a empty wire spool in my storage locker.  I set it up and
my wife was turning the spool wrapping the fiber neatly as I was
un-spooling in my hands.  That went well for about 50 -75 feet.
Then things got ugly!!!  Took about 45 minutes to de-tangle the rest
of it out on my yard.  It is amazing how quick a single cable can
get twisted. &%$#((@*&#**^%!!  I need to come up with a better
solution for the next time.  Any hints???

I also got a Pulling Eye to pull the cable through the conduit.
My only concern right now it the length.  I 'think' I will have
an extra 20-30 feet.  I need to do some extra measuring when I
get on site.  Last thing I need it to be 2" short!!

If this works as I want I have another job waiting in the wings
to install two IP cameras on a pole 200' from a building. I was
actually going to do it with CAT5e cable with surge protection
and stuff until I was woken up with these damaged Data Switches.

Will know more after Wednesday!!

Later,

Les