Re: What's up?

On Wednesday, October 28, 2020 at 1:18:49 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 10/28/2020 9:15 AM, Jim Davis wrote:
> > Is everybody as busy as I am?
> >=20
> > Can't seem to catch up.
> >=20
> > I'm scheduled out about 3 to 4 weeks now and no sign of letting up.
> >=20
> > All kinds of things.
> >=20
> > Right now I'm working on a system that was originally installed in the =
90's.
> > I don't understand how this alarm company was thinking. They've got 10 =
motion detectors, only two out of seven doors with contacts on them. Only o=
ne casement window in each room with an alarm screen. One keypad situated b=
etween the two entry doors with a Fifty second delay. Pull traps across the=
 basement windows. And one zone on the keypad zone list labeled as fire but=
 there are no smoke detectors.
> >=20
> > They want to keep the motion detectors only because the end user is use=
d to them causing (in my opinion) the customer to never arms the system whe=
n they are home (against my advice)  I've disconnected the alarm screens an=
d replaced them with wireless glass break detectors. Put wireless xmters on=
 the remaining doors. added six wireless smoke detectors. (It's really a ra=
mbling laid out house) Finding the transformer took at least a half hour. i=
t was buried above the drop ceiling in a closet in the basement.
> >=20
> > Problem is, The lady is a practicing psychologist, and I can only get i=
n the house when she doesn't have patients. This is my second week on the j=
ob. Can't leave any gear on the job. Each time I return I have to set up al=
l over again. It takes me about an hour to switch gears from the job I was =
at the day before to get my head back into where I left off.
> >=20
> > Other than that, I'm changing out 3G radios. People moving from one hou=
se to another. New people moving in. The real estate business is just going=
 wild in this area. Houses are selling in just a few days after being put o=
n the market. Cuomo and De Blasio have screwed up New York City and anyone =
who can afford it is moving out.
> >=20
> > And with the defunding of police, every one wants a firearm and an alar=
m system.
>=20
>=20
> For a grand total of half a day I had cleared every job off my board.=20
> That day I got 3 custom jobs in and a recut.  One of the new custom jobs=
=20
> was for nine (9) unique custom molds each one requiring some time doing=
=20
> CAD.  Since then another recut, and a couple more customs have come in=20
> and I am back up to about 8 weeks minimum to start new jobs.
>=20
> In my "spare" time I have been working on "Yet Another Boat Project That=
=20
> May Never Get Finished."
>=20
> Another Boat Project That May Never Get Finished - Part 1
> https://youtu.be/Rvwb3HSshaU
>=20
> Another Boat Project That May Never Get Finished - PART 2
> https://youtu.be/l6XYbnkSltE
>=20
> Another Boat Project That May Never Get Finished Part 3a - Is 10+ Year=20
> Old Foam Any Good
> https://youtu.be/gmnsMYJME9Q
>=20
> --=20
> https://www.avg.com

Hi Bob,

Nice project. Are going to or did you finish it?

Years and years ago (early 20's) I took a few courses on small engine and m=
arine engine repair. I had an idea that was new around here about servicing=
 outboard engines. Almost anyone with an outboard engine trailered their bo=
at home. So I had planned to get a walk in van. Fabricate a water tank in t=
he van to service outboards at peoples homes. Of course back then, outboard=
 weren't as big as they are now and could have easily been carried into the=
 van. As I say --- no one was doing that around here at the time so I thoug=
ht It would work. But, I just couldn't afford to finance it at the time so =
the idea just sort of slipped away. After a time, I did see others who had =
the same idea but as outboards got bigger, the home servicing business fade=
d out. But I always was able to use the things I had learned in engine repa=
ir to my personal benefit since I eventually became an avid boater and took=
 many, many cruising vacations in the Caribbean and South America.  Many a =
time my engine knowledge saved my ass as well as being able to help others =
on the water. As time went on, however, I got further and further away from=
 the mechanical and got more deeply involved with the electronics industry =
and trade. And NOW, I look under the hood of may car and it looks like a pl=
umber's nightmare. If it has a set of points and a carborator, I can fix it=
 but electronic ignition and fuel injection I don't know a thing about.=20

Your ability to fabricate your own parts is certainly a definite advantage =
that not too many people have.=20