Re: A puzzle to solve

On Monday, February 10, 2020 at 3:45:23 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:

>  >

> Use your tone generator with one lead on that wire, and one lead on
> another wire, ceiling grid, or other parallel conductor.

Yeaaaaayyyy!

Yep, that's what I did.

I connected one lead of the tone generator to one of the wires in the shorted cable and the other lead of the tone generator to the common/ground pin of a AC wall outlet.

I figured that somebody should know how to do it.

Another thing I do to trace a wire is:

Sometimes you want to trace a wire behind a wall but the signal is too weak from your tone generator.

I have and old Moose ( I think ) 30 watt siren driver board.
Make sure there isn't a short on the wire. Attach the output of the siren driver to the wire you want to trace and you can follow the wire anywhere from one to two feet away from the probe.

Sometimes it's so loud you can't tell exactly where the wire is. I have a rheostat on the output of the siren driver to cut down on the volume of the output.

Doesn't always work out but often enough to make it worth a try.

I guess I could use a less powerful siren driver too.

Congrats Bob!