Re: Starlink

On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 10:05:16 -0700, Jim Davis wrote:

> On Sunday, April 29, 2018 at 9:00:26 PM UTC-4, RTS wrote:
>> On 4/29/2018 7:21 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
>>

>>       On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 9:06:53 PM UTC-4, RockyTSquirrel,
>>       esq wrote:
>>

>> Jim we've tried both AT&T and Verizon
>>         which are the primary carriers around here..
>>
>> We are pretty rural,  can be as much as 5-8
>>         miles between towers in a good area..
>>
>> and it seems that the clusters we have the
>>         most problem  with are all linked with microwave and not
>>         optical cable..
>>
>> My "guess" is the microwave doesn't have the
>>         bandwidth to allow that feature..
>>
>> But the Starlink does work better than the
>>         TG-1's we had been using..
>>
>> ;-)
>>
>> RTS
>>

>>       Rocky T. Squirrel, esq.
>>
>> What does Napco have to say about it?
>>

>> none of their suggestions worked out..
>>
>> It does seem that AT&T  is the major
>>         problem though..
>>
>> but with either type  the IBridge is the only
>>         problem
>>
>> everything else works just like normal.
>>       Rocky T. Squirrel, esq.
>

> Also, it just occurred to me ..... have you spoken to ATT? I know that
> they offer an "enhanced" service around here if someone is having a
> problem with their cellular connection.
> One service is that they provide a "booster" in the home that I believe
> actually picks up the signal from the cellular device and sends it over
> the internet on what I presume to be VoIP though their modem.
>
> I don't know if this would work with the Starlink or not.
>
> Another thing that is available is an actual Cellular Antenna on the
> house that enhances the signal from the tower. But I've never thoroughly
> investigate that.
>
> And another question ...... does the IBridge ,,,,, ALWAYS ...... not
> work ,,,,, or just in some places?

Howdy Jim,
the areas where we have the most problems with IBridge are signal rich
(4-5 bars on standard cell phone)  it's just the tower clusters in that
area seem to be microwave linked..
our techie guy has had several lengthy talks with AT&T.  they generally
give the impression they "don't give a rats #$%^" if some odd app doesn't
work, so long as text and voice do..
Rural Ky. USA  is a long way from a Tech heaven..
a fair percentage of out alarm systems still use POTs lines.. even DSL..
What U-Verse AT&T installs  an outside contractor will most likely have to
come in to get it working..
The AT&T employees I've crossed paths with are kind of shell shocked..
A large percentage of their regulars were forced to retire due to
cutbacks, and the remaining ones are over loaded with tech issues they
just don't have a handle on...
I will say the Verizon guys do a much better job of fixing tech problems
the first time...

RTS