Re: Remember the Good Old Days

On Sunday, September 10, 2017 at 7:38:23 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
> I still recall Robert Bass calling me up to brag endlessly and complain=
=20
> about Mike Sabodish only to have Mike call me a little later to carry on=
=20
> about Robert Bass.  Don't worry, machinists and tackle makers have the sa=
me=20
> kinds of guys and more of them.  I'm not missing out.  LOL.

I too spent many years on this newsgroup before it more of less died off. D=
uring those many years, I had a lot of interface with Robert Bass, and unli=
ke everyone else, I never had a single problem with him. We disagreed often=
 on things, but always managed to work it out (and he usually ended up bein=
g correct since I still had a lot to learn about our industry in those days=
). Now I don't condone his negative behaviour in the least. But respect beg=
ets respect, and he and I always treated each other that way. I took a lot =
of "heat" for even dealing with him, but I refused to stoop to negative beh=
aviour then and still do now. I also got to know him personally when I was =
spending time in Florida back then, and he was much like I knew him on the =
internet. He was devoted to his parents, and well known and loved in the Br=
azilian community down there, and I met many of his friends at that time fr=
om that community. He was very welcoming to me and shared his beautiful hom=
e with me on one occasion. I don't doubt he had a negative side as we all d=
o, and which  he often exhibited on this newsgroup. But he was very smart t=
echnically and often able to correct technical things said on the group.Per=
haps those who where corrected didn't like it and instead of learning from =
it, took it personally- who knows. I do know he died in almost abject pover=
ty, so I cannot comment on the worth of his business accumen either. But fo=
r me, he provided a lot of assistance, and on several occasions, I was able=
 to help him out in return. And that is what a technical newsgroup should b=
e all about.=20

This newsgroup was of great assistance to me for over a decade so for me, i=
t was a total success. But like most newsgroups of the time, it was filled =
with people and opinions that went from hate, up through nonsense, all the =
way to brilliant. It was left for the reader to sift through the informatio=
n to get that rare nugget or jewel to be discovered.

I fully expect even this post to solicit all sorts of hateful responses to =
which I can only say it was what it was to each person. I can only hope he =
has gone to a better place as will all of us eventually. I certainly don't =
wish ill of the dead