Re: Do "Pet Immunity" Motion Detectors Really Work?

On 4/27/2017 10:22 AM, Jim Davis wrote:
> On Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 4:31:05 AM UTC-4, skoda...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> first off all sorry for my english.
>> i am thinking to put allarm system in my house.the way i am thinking is magnetic sensors on door windows and 2 simple motion detectors in the house.
>> i dont have pets in the house.now as for my front yard there is a lot of cats.
>> i was thinking for pet imunity sensor to protect my yard before the thif came close and brake a window or picklock my door.now i asked alot of companies that put alarm systems and 90% of them tell me that even expensive pet sensors about 200 euros and 300 euros will give false alarms.they say that when a cat enter the protected area just wallking the sensor will not activate but when the cat run or jumping or fights with other cats the sensor increases the mass of the cats above the maximun kilograms and activates false alarm.so what to do? i need some way to proteck my front yard before the thif has the ability to make a damage to my exterior house.
>
> What the alarm companies are NOT telling you is that any kind of outdoor sensors are going to be activated by every kind of motion you can think of. Blowing leaves, insects crawling on the face of the sensor, birds, branches moving in the wind ... and so on.
>
> So,............ although there are sensors that are available for outside use they are for large commercial installations, are very expensive and usually require a local guard response because of false alarms. The type of devices that are used for home installations are not designed to do what you want to do.
>
> Don't use outdoor sensors.

Now Jim  let's not be to hasty.  ;-)

He could use pressure mats crossed zones or paralleled with motion
detectors set at their maximum crossing point 25-35 feet looking
directly at each other, so all 3 would need to trip at the same time to
cause an alarm..
Providing of course he included a temp sensor to disable the whole thing
if the temp dropped below 35 degrees F.  or above 100 degrees F.
It would also be helpful to add a 22,000 hz 50db background horn to keep
the effected area blanketed with that noise to keep critters away..

Yea,  I think it could be done with a little effort and forethought...

--
from the desk of:
*Richard Phillips, FAR-601