Re: Rob Blaire

news:f6c0048b-aaaf-45df-b469-3ea5a9b9013f@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tuesday, June 28, 2016 at 11:16:42 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
> "Jim" <> wrote in message
> > On Tuesday, June 28, 2016 at 12:03:52 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
> >> "Jim" <> wrote in message

> >> No, not at all.  SNERK!
> >>
> >> January 1st I will be thrilled though.  You know I only had a plan to
> >> be
> >> in
> >> the business for five years when I started...
> >
> > I presume that you'll be doing something else though.
> >
> > If you sit for too long you get fat, grow roots and your brain turns
> > into
> > a turnip.
>
> I've been doing something else for a while.  CNC machining custom molds
> and
> other stuff.  I think its been 8-10 years since I started tinkering with
> it
> in my spare time.  At the moment I have two CNC mills producing work on a
> daily basis, and I am supposed to have two more on Friday, God willing and
> the creeks don't rise.  I just got a new 14x40 manual lathe last week.  I
> also have three hybrid CNC machines I am building, and a CNC router that
> helps out from time to time.
>
> CNC Molds N Stuff: www.cncmolds.com
>
> Everyday I learn something new.  I enjoy it like I used to enjoy being a
> technician.  The big differences are all my jobs are prepaid and my
> customer
> base is literally world wide.  From Austraila to Europe to North America
> South America and even South Africa.  Almost every job is custom so its
> challenging, and my customers don't mind (except for some understandable
> impatience) that I have a back log of work and theirs will get done when
> its
> their turn.  I won't get rich doing it, but its bringing in enough to pay
> its own bills.  I've even taken a paycheck from time to time.   Not just a
> draw, but an actual paycheck.  LOL.
>
> The thing is my contracting customers are starting to realize how valuable
> was.  Some have literally begged me not to quit contracting.  I feel for
> them, but they will have to find somebody else.  I'm still getting job
> requests that are hard to turn down too.  If they insist I price it stupid
> high.  I am still getting them.

I'm kinda in that mode now too. (Price it stupid)

The job list is two pages long and I do the ones that I like to do and make
the most money with the least amount of work. CCTV seems to be the latest
thing. They're real easy to install now, along with DVR setup. No RMR but
..... the income is pretty good. As always, I'm so diversified  (Alarms,
Audio, Video, TV's Surround sound. whole house audio (Sonos) CCTV, Pool
audio, automated Lighting, residential and small commercial Ethernet wiring
and WiFi network enhancement.)etc, etc.  I don't get bored. Every day is a
new adventure.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You know I do most of that stuff too, but I don't really find it challenging
anymore.  Its not much fun at all.  I used to get a big kick out of fixing
things or finding ways to do what other contractors couldn't or wouldn't.
Most of the time the second hardest thing I have to do is just read up on
the product.  Then I look around to see if the MFG is honest or not.  Its
not really challenging.

The most difficult thing is dealing with certain customers.  Most of which
fortunately I have managed to send elsewhere.  Sometimes charging them a
stupid amount of money isn't enough.  Sometimes I actually have to tell them
why I am charging them a stupid amount of money.

I also do access control, paging and background music, commercial phone
systems (certified on a couple large systems), and sometimes design (black
box mostly, but not always) special control and monitoring systems.  Some of
my special systems are still working after more than 20 years.  At one time
I was big into satellite.  I was still in high school (graduated in 82) when
I first started installing satellite systems.  Finally gave them up as not
worth the headache anymore around 2002-2003.  Currently I am leaning more
about the theory side of electronics as my "hobby" and I am working on some
ideas for medical monitoring and diagnostic hardware.  I've got three
projects working in that area.  That's where its nice to have my shop next
to my house.  When I have a burst of inspiration I just put on my slippers
and wander out to the shop.  Now if the owner of this stupid f'in
contracting company would his damned inventory the H377 out of my way I'd
have some elbow room to work.

Back in the day (and even recently) I have customers who are (were) thrilled
to have somebody who could just fix or install all of their special systems.
Often I would get a call for the alarm system and wind up doing everything.
Phones, network, access, video, intercom, and sound.  Its nice for my good
customers.  They tell me what they need and I take care of it, but it can be
a pain for difficult customers who keep trying to manipulate stuff in on top
of the job.  Its pretty bad though for buck passing assholes in supplemental
trades.  I just document the whole situation and give it to the customer.
The customer may not understand it, but they know I found and pinpointed the
problem when the buck passing sleazoids (like some copper line providers)
don't even try.

I stayed in the contracting business I'd dump alarms and change the name to
"Special Systems."