Re: CCTV IP cam with CAT45 OUTLET

"Jay Loubser" <jay.tupiniquim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:dba3fc5e-8282-49c2-8250-c085111dfd76@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Guys

I have a CCTV IP cam which I want to install at our main gate in order for
the security guard to see who is outside, especially at night. The camera
has a CAT45 outlet apart from two audio outlet and the power jack. Is it
possible to take the cable straight to a VGA monitor? In other words to make
up a RJ45 to VGA cable. Please note the following points:
1. It is in Mozambique, we have three shifts of guards whom are not computer
literate, and a lot of power failures 24/7, they will not be able to start a
desktop after power failures even with intense training.
2. The camera and monitor will be powered from a 1Kv UPS, which will last
longer if no desktop is installed
3. Please remember that I stay in Mozambique, hence fancy
equipment/installations are out

I will appreciate any help if it is possible to make up such a converter
cable

No, trying to hook up an IP cam directly to a VGA monitor is like trying to
hook up a satellite dish directly to a TV without the satellite receiver, it
will not work.

Forget using a desktop, instead get yourself a dvr/nvr for the IP camera.
Shop online in China, it's closer to you and cheap. Setup the dvr/nvr to
auto reboot after power is restored, and it will stay on with no worries to
your guards. The RJ45 out wire usually will be all that is needed to hook up
to the dvr/nvr, if your recording unit has POE-power over ethernet. Again,
shop China, there giving away stuff now, almost. While you're at it, get
yourself some self-focusing IP cams, and you won't have to worry about
someone fooling around with the settings. If power gives out, when power is
restored, they will refocus all by themselves. If you have three shifts of
guards, I would buy a very well hidden cam to watch the drv/nvr, just turn
off live viewing for that cam. You need to know who may be accessing the
dvr/nvr. They could just erase a portion of the video and you would probably
never know it. Trust no one, always have a way to verify.

If you buy the right equipment, there is no fancy installation. Also, make
sure the dvr/nvr has auto-enroll for the IP cams. Then, it's basically a
no-brainer.

Stay safe and be well!